Sunday, September 11, 2011

I Remember

I remember standing in line to pay for my coffee in the cafe on campus. I remember looking up at the muted television mounted to the wall. I remember seeing the smoke billow from the Twin Towers, and reading the closed captioning, and wondering how a plane had gotten so out of control.

I remember realizing that it was a deliberate attack. I remember the shock. The disbelief. The horror.

I remember staying on campus and pretending to work, while refreshing Drudge every ten seconds or so. I remember giving up and going to my apartment so I could turn on the television news.

I remember the tears streaming down my face as I watched images and heard stories of broken people and broken lives.

I remember the grief and pride of knowing that heroes rushed in, sacrificing their lives, while others rushed out.

I remember the rage that burned away the last of my shock and forged a determination to do what little I could to prevent something like this from ever happening again.

I remember, and I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to an excess of spam comments lately, I've enabled comment moderation and made it so that you can't comment anonymously--most of the spam comes from Anonymous. However, I love to hear what you think, and I hope you have an account you can use to log in and comment here. Even if we disagree, please leave me a comment. Just keep it family-friendly, please.